The NAPF Bench Press team competes annually at the NAPF Bench Press Championships. This competition features lifters of all ages from the North American region competing in both the equipped and raw formats.
- The first selection goes to USA Powerlifting Men’s & Women’s Open, Masters, Sub-Junior & Junior Bench Press champions.
- The second selection criteria are the second place in the USA Powerlifting Men’s & Women’s Open, Masters, Sub-Junior & Junior Bench Press champions.
- The third selection criteria are chosen from bench press results from USA Powerlifting powerlifing national championships.
- The fourth selection criteria are coach’s choice from any USA Powerlifting sanctioned competition.
The team is currently coached by Bill Helmich.
Bill lives in Sandia Park, New Mexico in the mountains east of Albuquerque. He is the owner and president of Bill Helmich Associates providing training services and seminars to Native American tribes throughout the US on Federal Grant and Contract Program Law, management, and related topics. His education includes a bachelors degree in Engineering from the US Air Force Academy; masters degree in Applied Science/Physics from University of California; masters degree in Business Administration from the University of New Mexico.
- Competing since 2001 and in the USA Powerlifting/IPF since 2004
- 9x National Champion
- 7x IPF Masters World Champion
- 4x Regional NAPF Champion
- 4x Pan-American Champion
- Has set a total of 15 masters world records (MWR)
- National Referee from 2012 – present
- State Referee from 2010 – 2011
- Senior International Coach
- Head Coach for Men’s & Women’s Masters World Teams 2013
- Assistant Coach IPF Open Worlds 2013
- Assistant Coach NAPF Championships 2012
- Temporary Head Coach for Men’s & Women’s Masters World Teams 2011